Monday, December 8, 2014

David's thoughts...

Winter Solstice

It is 7:30 a.m. as I sit down to write this.  Looking out the windows in our living room it is still pitch black. I know that I still have at least two hours till the sun comes over the mountains. I find myself looking forward to the 21st of December like I looked forward to Christmas when I was a kid.  The 21st is winter solstice in the northern hemisphere.

Solstice in Alaska is the magical date when the minutes of daylight start increasing each day.  I’ve never given it too much thought before, but up here it is a really big deal. 

The Alaska we fell in love with and dream about is green and beautiful, with more hours of daylight than a human can handle. It is a place with trails to hike, rushing rivers and streams full of salmon and mountains too big to describe. That Alaska seems like such a distant memory that I have to remind myself what it was like to keep my spirits strong. The Alaska of winter is mostly black and white.  It is still amazingly beautiful, but in an Ansel Adams sort of way.
 

If my calculations are correct, by the 21st we will have lost about 40 more minutes of morning light and another 40 minutes of evening light.  That should put direct sunlight times somewhere around 10 a.m. to 3 p.m., give or take.  That doesn’t mean it is completely dark after those times.  There is twilight, the time right before the sun comes up and after it goes behind the mountains.  It doesn’t seem to get “nighttime dark” until 4 to 5 p.m. Since the ground and trees are covered with snow, there is a serious amount of reflected light all night long from the moon and stars. However, when it is cloudy, it is seriously dark for long periods of time each day!

No comments:

Post a Comment